We all want to look our very best and we spend minutes or hours to look our best with makeup even on a normal day- now how much more for special occasions? Here’s a scenario. A night out with friends. Drinks and fun abound. Then you go home, kick off those shoes (a rather soothing feeling one must admit) take off your clothes and remove your makeup with one swipe of cotton with the makeup remover of your choice. So you don’t feel guilty for your skin because you took off your makeup already, right? You sleep it off, unsure of how much gunk is still left on your face, possibly leading to infections or allergies and clogged pores. Now, we don’t mean to scare you but this really does happen. Some do so intentionally, with various reasons (ex. too tired) or unintentionally (ex. I think I’ve cleaned away most of it, I’ll finish it in the morning, I swear).
Now, putting on makeup is tricky, removing makeup must feel like a chore for some, but the key here is to maintain healthy skin. You don’t have to rub all those concoctions on your face. All you have to do is to develop a routine. This routine will help you determine which product will go easy on your skin to remove residue and the toxins of the day as well. Properly removing makeup will reap benefits for your complexion in the short and long run. While there is necessarily no right or wrong, here are a few guidelines to establish a ‘how to remove makeup’ regimen:
Take off the Eye make-up
While the entire face is delicate, special care must be given to the eyes. If possible, remove the eye makeup first. With tons of eye make-up removers, which one should you choose? You can’t very well experiment with all brands; those peepers need extra TLC since the skin around the eyes is the thinnest on the face. Select a suitable eye makeup-remover, one with good ratings and low allergenic properties if your skin is very sensitive). The secret behind how to remove makeup the right way starts from how you take care of your delicate eyes.
- Take a cotton pad and along with the product of your choice. Remember, one eye at a time.
- Place the cotton pad over one closed eye for a few seconds to allow the makeup to dissolve with the solution. Same goes for the bottom and the lashes.
- With minimal pressure, start with the upper lids, from the outer corner of the eye to the inner corner until the cotton pad runs clear. Follow the same procedure for the bottom part of your eyes. We’re also avoiding premature wrinkles and too much tugging for the corners of the eyes.
- For the lash line/water line, you can use a Q-tip, still the same, out to in when swabbing. This way, your strokes will be controlled and you can further prevent the solution getting into your eye.
Klorane Soothing Eye Make-up remover ($14.82) with non-irritating ingredients and cornflower extracts, expect easy eye make-up removal while moisturizing the skin around your eyes without leaving oily deposits.
Are you a fan of a lot of eye make-up? Try Clinique Take the Day Off ($16.99). Removes even the most stubborn waterproof mascara without strong smells and grease. Great for lipstick removal too. Get better deals by using our Amazon Promo Codes!
Put a fresh face forward
- With your makeup remover on a cotton pad, clean the outer edges of the face first (as makeup collects more on these areas). Wipe your entire face gently, until all of it is gone.
- If you’re a fan of foaming/ facial cleansers, lather at the edges of the face again and then going inward in circular motions, avoiding the eye area.
- Don’t forget to rinse well with water and with a suitable gentle facial cleanser of your choice. Make-up removal may take time depending on the skin and amount of make-up used.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
Want to remove make-up in one cotton swipe? Use a product that’s oil based. Made in Japan, Shiseido Perfect Oil Makeup Remover ($12.47) will work well on both dry and wet skin and easily rinses off with water. Check out eBay Coupon Code for a treat!
If you’d like the feel of foam try out La Roche-PosayToleriane Purifying Foaming Cream Cleanser ($19.09). Good for combination to oily tolerant skin the rich foam cleanses easily without over drying skin and all you need is a small amount.
Also, we know we all can’t prevent those rushed nights. Thanks heavens for make-up wipes! We recommend Neutrogena Makeup Removing Wipes ($22.13). Amazon Promo Code will help you make the most of the available discounts on beauty products in general and makeup removers in particular.
Add some aftercare
Once you’ve established a routine, don’t forget the aftercare, too! Women put on a lot of products and the whole effort of cleaning will strip your face off of its natural hydration. Moisturize! After patting your face dry and ensuring no makeup is left, use a good moisturizer to ensure your skin will remain supple and soft. Even those with oily skin still have to moisturize. Just pick the right cream and that’s when you know how to remove makeup in the most sensible way.
- When applying moisturizer, again, be gentle. Lightly put the cream on your face. Think of it as marking the areas with dots of the moisturizer, then spreading these with clean fingers. Forehead, cheek one, cheek two, nose and the lower mouth area.
- Massage with circular strokes, starting with the cheeks. When moisturizing the nose, spread it downward. When moisturizing the forehead, use the in-out method, sideways. For the neck, use upward strokes.
- Avoid the eye area unless the cream is specifically for the eye.
Philosophy Hope in a Jar Daily Moisturizer ($37.66) is excellent for all skin types, if not majority of the skin types. This lightweight moisturizer can be used daily sans the oily feeling. Get it from Amazon with the special Amazon Promo Code.
Last but not least, don’t forget to hydrate from within. Drink lots of water and stay healthy and beautiful as always!